What is Help to Buy?
Help to Buy is a Government backed initiative to assist people looking to buy a new build home, but worried that they may not have a sufficient deposit.
Whether you are a first-time buyer or an existing home owner, you only need a 5% deposit to purchase your home. This initiative is only available from house builders who have been approved to participate in the scheme.
Amherst Homes are delighted to have been approved to participate in Help to Buy.
Help To Buy is available for all buyers until March 2021, at which point it will only be available for first time buyers.
What do You Need to Know?
- Help to Buy is only available on new build homes built by an approved house builder
- You will only need as little as 5% deposit
- You will only have to obtain a mortgage for a maximum of 75% of the purchase price
- When you buy through the Help to Buy Scheme, you will have full title to the property
- The Government through the Help to Buy Equity Loan scheme will lend you up to 20% of the value of your property.
- The equity loan is interest free for the first 5 years
- The scheme is open to both first time buyers and movers
- Help to Buy is only available on houses up to a value of £600,000
How Does it Work?
With a Help to Buy Equity Loan, the Government lends you up to 20% of the cost of your new build home, so you will only need a 5% cash deposit and a 75% mortgage to make up the rest.
You won’t be charged interest on the 20% loan for the first five years of owning your home.
Example: for a home with a £200,000 price tag
If the home in the example is sold for £210,000, you’d get £168,000 (80%, from your mortgage and the cash deposit) and you’d pay back £42,000 on the loan (20%). You’d need to pay off your mortgage with your share of the money.
For more information (including advice on fees and paying back your loan), please download the Help to Buy Buyers’ Guide here.
Am I Eligible?
To check your eligibility, you can contact Amherst Homes on 01799 588400 or email email@example.com. We will then refer you to our sales agents, who will assist in completing your Help to Buy application. After this, you will be contacted by a Help to Buy agent to confirm your eligibility.
Further information on the Help to Buy Equity Loan Scheme is available on the Help to Buy website.